A feeling of daydream…
So I’ve been having weird realizations once in a while. I still can’t believe I am where I am. It’s still surreal that I have a job. That I’m interacting with these kids like I’ve been here for years. That I know what the heck I’m doing everyday. I still smack myself sometimes to remind me that I’m lucky to be where I am. To remind myself that one year ago that I would be in the place that I am today. It’s like I’m in a dream state sometimes. It’s really strange..
Anyways.. last week was a short one.. four days. Had to administer some stupid standardized assessments to the middle years students. For which I find really useless. It doesn’t measure anything! What does this tell us? Nothing. I was having a fit on the weekend on how stupid it is. I’m not the only one complaining.. my kids.. I feel so bad for.. Gosh..
I think I’m starting to feel the burnout feeling.. But the thing is I keep pushing through. I feel tired but I still do it anyway. It’s a work ethic thing with me, I guess. It’s really starting to wrap up.. quickly too. I need to buckle down now and get stuff done ahead of time. I am so looking forward to summer..
Had a freakin mouse living in the wall. That was a nice surprise.. ugh.. the adventures in living in a basement on the farm.
Also, in other news.. the vice principal got the principal position next year.. and the physed teacher got the vice principal position.. Are these the best two for the job? I dunno.. I guess we’ll have to see next year. I’m kind of sad, the actual principal has been missing so many days..
I’ve been getting really annoyed by the middle years.. in particular the 7’s and 8’s.. I almost hit a kid the week before.. this one grade 8 student is kind of a “shit-starter”.. pardon the language.. and I couldn’t believe I almost did it.. I’ve never had that anger before.. Not that he didn’t deserve it though.. It’s just the middle years are so needy.. like they each need constant attention.. and they don’t get that I’m not even listening to them.. that I can’t listen to them.. and they are so off topic sometimes.. It’s very strange to have the different grade levels.. and seeing the difference of behaviour.. I just hope they mature fast and quickly..
So things I want to do next year..
- write quizzes ahead of time
- tracking system for calculators (shoe hanger?)
- looseleaf? pencils? own materials? new system?
- write assignment on homework/grade sheets
- get rid of the damn mac computer
- buy timer
- more projects
- more baskets
- more math posters?
- buy games?
- rewrite policy? extra work?
- make timelines for class, stick to them
- map out progress (different lines, own portfolio)
- Consider MathWorks, Prism textbooks
- Buy Lysol.. alot.. cans of air
- Scan 7/8/9 Workbook, make answer keys
- Math Self-Assessments - I Can Statements - Before, during, after..
- Smartboard activities?
- Read tons of math blogs.. keep getting more ideas and insight
- Chewing gum? apparently research says they can focus more..
- purchase polydrons
- read more math books by educators..
- document more.. take more pictures.. blog more..